Friday, December 6, 2013

~ For the Birds ~



Sometime in September, when stores were just beginning to put out their Christmas merchandise, I found these mercury glass bird ornaments and was instantly smitten.

I found them at Tuesday Mornings.


I bought them and then started thinking about all of the bird ornaments I had collected or made over the years. I decided that my main tree would definitely have a bird theme to it. In fact you could say that for the last couple of months I have definitely been "bird brained."


Four or five years ago I made a variety of stuffed, fabric birds for a class I was teaching, so I was good to go with them.
 


Sometime in 1981, I sewed a ton of different ornaments for our tree from a Vogue pattern.  They included these white doves that have some lovely embroidery detail on them.  I knew they would be perfect also.
 


And then one day I was at JoAnn's and spotted these wooden birds ... for a song.


My intention was to paint them ... probably white ... but I came home and promptly forgot about them until I got them out to decorate the tree.


At that point I was SO glad that I hadn't painted them.  I absolutely love their rough, natural state, which gives a somewhat natural look to my decidedly fake tree. 


Did I mention ...

I just love Christmas!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment